Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Make It Your Own, Make a Fabric Book Cover

For Christmas one year my mom got each of us a recipe book, and she filled it with our favorite recipes. It was one of the best gifts I have ever received. She is so sweet, and her cooking is delicious! However, the book its self is a little, let's say, "old fashioned." Not exactly my style. Over the weekend I was in some kitchen store and saw the cutest recipe book EVER! I wanted it, wanted it real bad, but it cost $40! And could I really toss out what my mother bestowed upon me? No. I would just update it. 


If you have ever covered a book in grade school you will be able to do this project. You're doing the same thing, only with fabric. If you can't remember exactly how to go about folding, practice with a paper bag on you book. 


You will need:

  • fabric
  • scissors
  • thread
  • sewing needle
  • pins
  • iron
  • glue (if you cannot sew, you could always glue it)

I picked a dark grey that I liked, but it was too small to cover the whole thing, so decided to pair it with the green.  (It's much prettier in person, for some reason my camera cannot capture the green properly)
 ALWAYS IRON YOUR FABRIC FIRST!
Lay your book in the center of your fabric. You will want at least an inch of fabric sticking out from the top and bottom of the book. Cut. Fold the book closed, bringing the fabric with it. When cutting the length leave at least 2 inches extra at each end to create the flaps that will hold the book.
Notice my fabric was too short, that's why I added a 2nd piece, but I'm measuring for length here. Also notice that one edge is folded under, but you want to leave an extra 2 inches at each end. 

Now you are ready to begin sewing, it's as easy as that. 
Since I was working with 2 pieces, I had to sew them together, I lined them up, and pinned them together. 
Then, sent them thru my sewing machine. You could easily do this by hand if you are handy with a needle or glue if you're not. Again, if you are only using 1 piece of fabric, skip this. 


Don't skip this next part though. 
Working with 1 piece or multiple you need to create a nice straight edge along the top and bottom. This is why you left that extra inch, to create a finished edge. 
I think the easiest way is as follows:
  • place your book in the middle of your fabric
  • begin to fold up the top edge and pin into place, then do the same with the bottom
  • make sure you are keeping your hemline straight and that the fabric lines up properly at both ends. 
  • I like to leave it ever so slightly longer than the book
  • once pinned, sew into place 
Now it's time to make the side pockets that your book will slide into, thus holding the cover on the book. 
  • One more time center the book in your fabric. This time the top and bottom of book and fabric should line up. 
  • Fold book and fabric as shown in pic above by folding in the unfinished edges, making sure you are folding in an equal amount. Hopefully you have roughly 2 inches of fabric folded under the front and back flap. 
  • Pin into place and sew along the very edge of this fold, creating a pocket to slide your book into. I sewed this part by hand. 

(I tried to take a pic of this by having hubs help me, but he wasn't much help)


And that's it. The finished product basically looks like the last pic. I plan on decorating it, but ran out of time today. I will post a pic when I'm done. 


Explaining things is hard. 
If you have questions please ask. If you want me to make you one, please ask. If you need ideas for decorating it please ask! 
Remember, it's just like the paper bag covers we made as kids, but with fabric. 
Send me pics, I want to know what you come up with! innovations.by.c@gmail.com 


-C-

No comments:

Post a Comment