Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Quick! They're Not Looking! Design on a Budget Part Tres

Thank you for joining me as we continue the series "Design on a Budget." Where I give you ideas on how to design your home on a limited budget. Today's entry is called "Quick! They're Not Looking!"

Ok, so you're looking for stuff to furnish your place. Can't find anything in the dumpsters or your to chicken to jump in? Well, why not raid your parents' place.

Not literally.

Unless your parents are vikings and expect you to do such a thing.

But for the rest of you why not ask. I was visiting home last fall and somehow we ended up upstairs going thru a bunch of stuff. Maybe I was looking for something? I don't know. Anyway, we had years and years worth of stuff. My old stuff, brother/sister's old stuff, parents' old stuff, grandma's old stuff, old stuff that was in the house when we moved in....lots of old stuff.

As I went through, I found things I forgot I had. After the wedding we hopped in our car and drove to KC. I could only fit so much. Finding those things again, a. brought back memories, and b. was like getting the best deal of your life. Oh, I want that, and it's already mine, hurray!
Obviously, you're not going to want everything you kept as a kid, but I found picture frames, baskets, and crafting things.

Then I found these:

They were dirty, and were framing two creepy kids standing in a empty field. It was like Children of the Corn, but with no corn. But I loved the frames! So I removed the glass and the children, cleaned them up and put them on the wall.

If I wanted to update them I could paint them a funky color, but I like them just as they are. 

But why stop with your parents. Ask other family members, friends, co-workers. Someone always has something they want to get rid of. And just because they can't see the beauty in it doesn't mean you can't. 

Think to yourself, what if I:
  • just painted it? 
  • replaced the hardware? 
  • put new legs on it?
  • replaced that piece?
  • hung it up?
The greatest thing about designing today is that pretty much anything goes. I call it (and maybe other people do too) eclectic chic. People are reusing, repurposing, find new ways to use old things and it's awesome! 



This is another dumpster find. It was a table and 2 chairs. Really good condition. I didn't really need the table but loved it's design. I brought it up, cut it in half, repositioned the legs, painted, and used the other half of the top to create a second shelf. It was out entertainment center for a long time. Recently I removed the bottom shelf and now use it as a desk in my craft room. I love it. And yes it took a little work, but cost me nothing but some sweat.


I've decided to make Wednesdays "do-it-yourself craft day" be sure to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment