Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Secret Life of Wrapping Paper!! Design on a Budget Part Deux

Oh, you guys are going to like this one. It's one of my favorite quick fixes! So easy and so fast, so cheap! So exciting!

Wrapping paper has been taken up a notch. Have you noticed? I love it! It's gone from cheesy to beautiful! Why waste such pretty paper on other people? Buy it for yourself (and then use the left-overs for gifts). Now you are wondering why you should buy a bunch of wrapping paper for yourself. Well I will show you-

Ok, so I have an apartment and can't just go throwing paint up willy-nilly. I had to get creative to bring a little color to our ugly white kitchen, then one day it hit me. Wrapping paper!


White, white, white. This is a little shelf above my sink, you do not see the sink cuz there are dishes in it, dirty dishes. I hate doing the dishes. Anyway, I love this little shelf. It's cute, but white. So I went to Target to search for some pretty wrapping paper. Well I went to Hobby Lobby first but their selection has gotten smaller. Target is awesome. That is all. 


Here is the paper I got, some pretty flowery stuff, 
brown package wrap (made from recycled materials), and some pretty green stuff. 
  • Make sure you clean your surface first. 
  • Measure the area you want to cover, and remember: Measure Twice, Cut Once

Now, attach it the way you see fit. I have used tape, glue dots, and this time used glue. I was tired of messing around. You don't need a lot of glue. The paper is light. I just put a couple of dabs in the corners and made sure it had no wrinkles. If you use too much you end up with those wrinkled patches, remember, when you were a kid and used too much glue, and then the paper is so wet it can easily tear. 


Cool Right?

Then, I did this to my cupboard


I took all the shelves out, and tacked (glued) up the paper. 
This paper was nice because the design was laid out in such a way that I only had to unroll and cut to size. 

I put the brown paper down for shelf lining, and returned the shelves ever so carefully so I didn't tear what I just put up. 




Oh and look at my little helper


Well, she thinks she's helping anyway. 

So, a kitchen renovation for about $10. Can't beat that. And I didn't even use all the paper. 

Ideas for your place
  • Line the back of a bookshelf
  • How about doing a wall in a small closet, (which I am so doing next!)
  • Line your dresser drawers
  • Frame some and hang it on your wall
Let me know what you come up with! 


No comments:

Post a Comment