Sunday, October 23, 2011

Poor Naked Chair

Well, as I said a couple of weeks ago I can't keep bringing stuff in here. My apartment is only so big (and my husband is only so patient). So, over the next couple/few weeks I'm going to take the time to fix up/clean up/use my finds and share my process and progress with you. After all, if you can't use it, what's the point of having it? 


This a chair, that is technically not a dumpster find, but a craigslist find, kinda the same thing right?
I thought it was super cute. You've seen in pics before: http://innovationsbyc.blogspot.com/2011/05/memorial-day-weekend-project-that-wont.html, and wow does my apartment look so clean there......
Anyway, I have finally decided to upholster it, and do it in an inexpensive, cool way. 


I looked high and low for discounted upholstery fabric and it's really, really hard to find, unless you want something super ugly, in that case it's easy. What to do, what to do? Then, one day while walking through one of my favorite craft stores, Hobby Lobby, it hit me! Canvas! And with a coupon 6yds @ 72"wide cost me around $30! It's thick, and it's made to be stretched and stapled. 



So here's my naked chair. 
I removed all of the old, torn, dirty farbric. 
Now I'm replacing that with the canvas. I'm not done, but it's looking pretty good. 


As always the cats are very curious. 

I hope to finish today if I can find the time. 
But the best part about this chair is yet to come. 
Come back next week to see the finished product!



This is obviously not an instruction manual, but if you would like to do this there are plenty of how-to sites on the interweb, or in your library. It IS easier than it looks, of course it depends on the item. A couch would probably be more tricky.

No comments:

Post a Comment